Wednesday, August 16, 2006

My Obsession with Absorption


I can't stop making absorption pasta (Alice and my work friend call it "your self-absorption pasta"). It started one night in the beginning of June, and maybe it was because it was THAT night in June, but ever since that first time, I just can't get enough. After a week away from home, it was the dish I most wanted to return to--for a change it wasn't something I could buy at a restaurant, or something someone else could make for me--nope this dish is all mine.

It started with the recipe from chocolate and zucchini. And then it progressed. It is the first really good recipe in what I hope becomes a large repetoire of dishes that I love (no I have not made it for anyone yet, but I will as soon as I find someone deserving). I started with penne and water. Then I moved to penne with chicken stock, then penne cooked with the water that was leftover after reconstituting morrells for the pasta. First I added sauteed mushrooms and onions or shallots, and tomatoes and I sauteed the extras in olive oil, then in butter, and I always topped the pasta with sea salt and parmesan.

Finally, I have perfected recipe. I use my new favorite pasta shape, Percatelli, I sautee it in a little olive oil, then add just enough chicken stock to cover the pasta (Swanson organic), and then put the lid on the pot and cook it over a low heat. While this is going on I heat up some butter (okay a lot of butter) and sautee whatever fresh veggies I have on hand (currently, given the season, zucchini, tomato, and always onion). When I have decided that the pasta is fully cooked I make sure that there is still at least a half an inch of broth in the pan and stir in the sauteed veggies (if I am using tomato, I don't saute them in the butter I add them at this stage). Once everything is heated through, and there is enough liquid, I crack an egg into the pot and stir it in. The liquid is hot enough to cook the egg, but there is enough liquid so that when combined with the egg it creates a sauce (instead of a cooked egg). Then the pasta goes into the dish, I grate fresh parmesan over the pasta and it combines with the egg broth sauce, and the result is so satisfying.

So simple so good. I feel like cooking this dish for others will be like bestowing a special gift. I just hope they realize how lucky they are (imagine me giggling devilishly here).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home