Saturday, June 03, 2006

Eggs Glorious Eggs

I love eggs. Like all other cooks the first thing I learned to cook was scrambled eggs (my dad taught me when I was little), and just last year my mom taught me a low heat method that makes them especially fluffy, and with a bit of truffle oil and a little swiss cheese it is probably one of the most luxurious, rich dinners I make for myself. Mmmm.

Recently I have been searching for fiestaware egg cups like the ones my dad used to make serve me soft boiled eggs. He always used the wide end and spread my egg over white (pepridge farm brick oven) toast. One of my fondest memories. My eBay searches for these cups have turned up nothing (they are the ones where you can crack it over toast in one end or flip it over and use the other end to the egg out of its shell) . . .

Then this morning I woke up and it was raining, and gross and I was getting hungry and started to think about what I had in the fridge to make for breakfast and I realized I had eggs and toast. It seemed like as good a time as any to try out making soft boiled eggs. Hard to believe with all that nostalgia that I had never tried to make them but I hadn't. So I looked at the Joy of Cooking and How to Cook Everything and decided to use Bittman's method that tells you to poke a hole in each egg and cook for 3-4 minutes in gently boiling water. I thought I was hosed when I put the first egg in and it cracked. But I decided to keep going anyway.

And thought I thought the pinhole deal was wierd it worked. My soft boiled eggs were delicious . . . I added truffle oil which was silly. All they needed was salt. And even the cracked one turned out perfectly. So now at least I have a reason to keep searching for those egg cups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home